The Greensboro Street Historic District is a highly cohesive and architecturally/historically significant collection of primarily residential structures. The district is important as containing perhaps the highest concentration of residences of the economic and civic leaders of Starkville from the mid-nineteenth through the early twentieth centuries. The original Greensboro Street Historic District was written in 1982 and included 35 contributing buildings in the district with a period of significance of 1860-1920.
Located along one of the oldest routes leading westward from Starkville, Mississippi the Greensboro Street Historic District comprises 62 structures, more than 55 of which are architecturally and/or historically significant. The district is primarily composed of one long residential street, which, due to its impressive assemblage of dwellings dating from the mid-nineteenth through the middle twentieth centuries, is representative of over a century of historical continuity in Starkville’s residential growth. The original Greensboro Street Historic District Nomination was written in 1982. This Update and Boundary Increase Amendment expands the boundaries of the Greensboro Street Historic District to include 11 additional houses and outbuildings and changes end date of the Period of Significance to circa 1960. In addition, this document is intended to clarify the status of each building in the original district as being “contributing” or “non-contributing” according to current National Register standards.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.